Non-interactive Intro: Flash into (with "flash-in" SFX) scene with the Giant (about Sonic's height) Master Chaos Emerald suspended from the ceiling illuminating (a la Strong Spotlight action!) a bound and gagged Tiara struggling to be free.
Flash (again, with "flash-in" SFX) Sonic zipping in and stopping a few feet in front of her. After a short pause he zips (like a whirlwind) around Tiara and frees her from her bonds. Frantically she gasps-
"Sonic! You've been poisoned!!!"
"What? Don't I even get a 'Thank you?'"
"Yes, but-- Oh Sonic, you must hurry! I'm weak from the Chaos... You must go to my father in the castle. He's the only one who knows the Cure. Hurry Sonic! Before it's too late for us all..."
With no time to waste, Sonic spindashes into the distance as the dark scene fades quickly to white (with "flash-in" SFX for the last time, really!).
Game Start and Flow:
Fade in from white to Level 1 starting point in the Emerald Hills Zone. Solid sheets of land comprise the basic layout- No holes or anything too dangerous to interact with. The concept is for the player to get a grasp of basic 3D gameplay within Sonic's universe.
Sonic must eventually find the castle in Emerald Hills Zone. Once there, he meets Professor Boobowski. Learning of his daughters rescue and sickness, "Booby" pushes Sonic into the task of gathering the Cure "as quickly as is hedgehogly possible!"
Sonic now learns some tips about the tasks ahead of him:
- From Professor Boobowski's "Map Room" Sonic can be warped to 18 or so different dimensions or "Acts" (assuming 6 Zones with 3 Acts apiece).
- Within each Act, Sonic must retrieve its Cure Item, and then automatically warp back to the Map Room.
- Sonic can also warp back to the Map Room by returning to the Act's "Warp Entry Stone"-- a specific spot per Act where Sonic warps to/from.
- The nine Bonus Rounds must be completed to receive each of the nine Power-ups available to Sonic. (please refer to the Rings, Power-ups & More packet)
- Sonic encounters enemies made of either Metal, Stone or Wood. These represent the opposing elements to the three Shield types available to Sonic (i.e. Water, Fire and Lightning).
- Bosses must be fought to access the Cure Items of the Acts. Unlike previous Sonic games, these are highly mutated in nature, sod of "metal-gone-organic." (please refer to the Chaos & the DoomVirus section)
- To technically explain each Act's time limit: Boobowski has a limited Warp Energy supply, and the further away a dimension or Act is, the shorter the time Sonic will have to complete it.
- In addition, Sonic has a total, or global, Sick time in which to retrieve ALL of the various Cure items in the game before falling irretrievably sick to the DoomVirus
- Each Cure Item should be humorous in nature. Some examples include a gumball, some herbs, a laser cannon and an old shoe.
Upon returning with the final Cure Item, Sonic finds that the Professor has been replaced by a most suspicious-looking character. Five sizes too large for the Professor's white gown, the stranger hangs a loose fitting and obviously fake white heard- Black pointy mustache jutting out suspiciously from its sides. When the stranger demands the final Cure Item, Sonic resolutely refuses, sending the character into hysterics.
"Fine! Have it YOUR way blue boy!" yells the stranger, and with a rip and a roar the madman tears off his costume to reveal none other than ROBOTNIK!!!
Breaking the floor below him, Robotnik jumps down into the final Dungeon Arena level of our game. Sonic must eventually fight Robotnik who pilots the Super Mega Boss designed especially for this climactic battle. Whoever wins gets the Cure... *The hole in the Map Room floor remains open, whilst Sonic can revisit various Acts to build up his power for the "Big Fight." [Every full minute Sonic spends in an Act (following Robotnik's disappearance) raises the Mega Boss's difficulty rating.]
End Game Sequence:
Left half of the screen flashes in (no SFX this time) the details of how the Master Chaos Emerald was cracked.
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik tried to tap its power and broke it, contracting the Doom Virus.
- Robotnik tries unsuccessfully to extract information for a Cure from Professor Boobowski, the most famous Doctor in all of Mobius.
- Other forms of extortion failing, Robotnik schemes a very sneaky plan to snatch the Cure right out from under Boobowski's nose undetected!
- He starts by kidnapping Boobowski's precious daughter Tiara.
- Relying on Sonic's inability to resist rescuing any creature in danger, Robotnik sets the broken Master Chaos Emerald above Tiara, his bait.
- Sonic finds Tiara, our damsel in distress, and rushes to her rescue- Ignorant of the trap set for him by Robotnik.
- As planned, Sonic contracts the DoomVirus and sets out to find Tiara's father and hopefully the Cure.
- Planning to snatch the Cure from Sonic as soon as he gets it, Robotnik focuses on the next phase of his plan.
- Robotnik sets his slave-bots to constructing his Super Mega Boss, while other spy-bots to keep track of Sonic's progress.
The remaining half of the screen is black with a caricature of each team member paired with their respective credits scrolling slowly upwards. Music should be the only thing we hear, and it should relax the player who has spent MANY hours getting to this resolution.
Chaos & the DoomVirus:
For thousands of years the "ChaosDoom," or Element Legion lay trapped, suspended in a state of lonely silence within the Master Chaos Emerald, watching seasons in the outside worlds come and go, generations birth and die.
Dr. Ivo Robotnik, convinced there was some ultimate power within, succeeded in breaking the Emerald, providing a long-awaited exit for the ChaosDoom. No longer trapped, they waste no time in spreading their evil throughout Mobius and its surrounding dimensions.
Initially (and in this game) though, all that takes affect is the DoomVirus, the poisonous atmosphere suitable only for the ChaosDoom. Any living creature coming in contact with the atmospheric rays of the broken Master Emerald fall into sickness, and eventually wither sway- Unless the Cure is found in time.
Robots and creatures made of Metal, Stone or Wood are controlled by and serve as initial hosts for the ChaosDoom. Even Robotnik's Boss Robots do their bidding. All of these machines are bent on destroying Sonic, for he alone poses a threat to ChaosDoom.
ChaosDoom's main problem is that in order to fully escape the clutches of the Master Chaos Emerald, they need TIME. Not a subscription to the magazine, but maybe a year to fully develop outside of their "egg."
To the ChaosDoom, the longer Sonic can be delayed or even eliminated the more time they have to develop. Protecting the Acts with robots and the Cure Items with big, huge and nasty Bosses will hopefully accomplish this.
Even with Boobowski's extensive research and study of Chaos, he remains unaware of one vital piece of information: The Master Chaos Emerald must be resealed in order for the Cure to have a permanent effect. ChaosDoom knows that if Sonic succeeds, they will lose their freedom. They are NOT planning on going back to their "cage."
The ChaosDoom is a brotherhood of 6 magical monks warped in both mind and body whilst on vacation in the Master Chaos Emerald. Each wields a power from the Elements of the Universe. These include: Fire, Wood, Water, Metal, Lightning, Stone. Forming an imaginary circle (i.e. following Stone is Fire again...), each element is more powerful than its neighbor-- Thus creating a sort of Yin-Yang sphere of influence.
Already controlling Robotnik's machines, the ChaosDoom plan to personally destroy any opposition following their development period. The plan for the sequel is to incorporate these 6 "Bosses" as Sonic's new enemies- Far out-powering Robotnik in mind and might.
Characters: (in order of appearance)
- Sonic: The dashing young hedgehog we have come to know and love. Never idle (except when left unattended for more than 5 seconds!) he's practiced a new "Ringthrowing" technique that will come in handy during his adventure.
- Tiara B.: Referred to as "princess" by her father Gazebo, Tiara plays a minor supporting role as bait for Robotnik's fiendish trap. Potentially a future character, she's smart, spunky and swift-- more than a "match" for Sonic .
- Professor Gazebo Boobowski: The only man who knows the Cure to the deadly DoomVirus, "Booby" lives rather eccentrically in his castle on top of the hill. A passion for the unknown led this kooky little man to the study of everything about Chaos Emeralds.
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik: The rotund recluse that just won't quit! Impersonating Pandora a little too closely, he foolishly breaks the Master Chaos Emerald and spills out the Chaos (oops). Didn't anyone tell him to leave well enough alone?! Infected, Robotnik devises a way to get Sonic to do all of the work in finding the mysterious Cure. What a stinker!